Saturday, June 7, 2008

SİMİT

TURKISH STYLE BAGEL
Simit means a lot for Turks. If you are outside and hungry and have limited time to eat, simit is always the first and the best choice. You can see them sold by hawker on the streets of Turkey or in a fancy "Simit Houses." It is much more tastier, if you have a slice of feta cheese and a cup of Turkish tea with it.
Since I am not in Turkey, I have to do it by myself.
Ingredients:
Dough:
  • 1/2 tbsp of instant yeast
  • 3/4 cups of warm water
  • 2 cups of all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp of salt 
Topping:

  • 4 tbsp of grape molasses
  • 2 tbsp of water
  • 2 cups of roasted sesame seeds
Mix yeast, flour, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add warm water and knead them all together with your hands until becoming dough. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Keep the bowl in a warm place( not hot) for quick rising and let it rest until the dough rises to double its size. Take the bowl and knead the dough again until it is bubble free. Place the dough onto counter top and cut it into 12 pieces. Give each of them a shape of long roll (like 8 inches).Take two of long rolls and twist them around. Bring the ends together. It will look like a bagel.
Meanwhile, mix grape molasses and water with a whisk in a large mixing bowl. Take sesame seeds in a large plate. Dip simits into this liquid and drain the remaining liquid. Dip them into sesame seeds. Place them in a greased baking sheet.
Preheat the oven to 350F. Let simits rise for 20 minutes. Bake for 25 minutes, or until simits become a golden brown color and crispy.


14 comments:

Unknown said...

merhaba, hoşgeldiniz blog dünyasına. güzel paylaşımlarda görüşmek ümidiyle kolay gelsin.

trypanasoma said...

iffetçim simitlerden bana da yollasana...

My Turkish Kitchen said...

Yesil kivi,
tesekkur ederim guzel dileklerin icin...

Kubracim,
bu simitler yolculuk sevmiyor, kendisi gelsin diyorlar:)

Unknown said...

Iffetcim ellerine saglik,cok guzel gorunuyorlar,simit Turkiye'ye gidince ilk yedigim yiyeceklerdendir,ama nedense hic evde yapamayi denemedim,cesarette edemedim.senin tarifin cok guzel kolay gorunuyor,en kisa zamanda denicem :),

My Turkish Kitchen said...

Birsencim,
Ben de simiti cok severim, biliyorum ki evde yapilan gercegi gibi olmaz ama sanirim pekmez isin sirri, denemeni tavsiye ederim,gercek simit tadina cok yakin bir tat yakalayabiliyorsun.

zarpandit said...

simit çıtır simit..simitçieeeeeeeeeeeee:)

Nukhet said...

MErhaba

Simitleriniz cok guzel gorunuyor. Ayni denemelerden ben de yapiyorum. Nihayetinde bir simidin degerini en cok gurbetlik cekenler bilir segil mi? Ellerinize saglik.

My Turkish Kitchen said...

Merhaba Nukhet,
Gurbet insana herseyi yaptiriyor gercekten.
Gurbetten gurbete selamlar...

tasteofbeirut said...

I can't wait to try these simit. I want to see if they taste like the Lebanese ka'ak. Probably close! In Lebanon, they put mahlab in the dough sometimes

Mrs Ergül said...

Hi, I will love to make this for my husband. But what can I use in place of grape molasses?

My Turkish Kitchen said...

Hi Mrs Ergul,
You can use regular molasses like this one:
http://www.grandmasmolasses.com/grandmas/grandmas_products.asp

I am not sure whether you can use honey or not in case you couldn't find those two. Maybe you can try to see at least :)
I hope it helps.
Iffet

wafa said...

Hi ! I went to Turkey three years ago and I really enjoyed my trip! When I came back home (in Algeria)I tried to make Simit but the recipes I found were quite different from this one, it included eggs, milk and butter... is that allright?
Also, I'm looking for someone who could give me some turkish recipes for ramazan, I would really be grateful if you e-mailed me some of your favorite traditionnal recipes (cook@wlad-el-jej.com)
Thank you so much, I hope I'm not bothering you too much!

My Turkish Kitchen said...

Hi Wafa,
There are a lot of different recipes for simit. For traditional recipes, you can check them on categories on righ of the page. I hope it helps.
Iffet

My Turkish Kitchen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.