Monday, September 15, 2008

PİDE




TURKISH FLAT BREAD

Pide is the special Turkish bread for Ramadan. During the holy month of Ramadan, you could see long lines in front of bakeries. Those people wait to have one of these breads to break their fast with it. The smell of pide 'force' you to get one even you don't think about buying it.

Ingredients:

  • 4 cups of all purpose flour
  • 1+3/4 cups of warm water
  • 1/2 stick butter ( melted )
  • 1/2 tbsp of dry yeast
  • 1 tbsp of sugar
  • 1/2 tbsp of salt
Topping:

  • sesame seeds and baraca seeds




In a large mixing bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients. Add melted butter and warm water into this mixture and knead. The dough should be sticky. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and keep it in a warm place for rising. Let the dough rises to double its size. Take the bowl and knead the dough again until it is bubble free. Place a parchment paper on a 13" 10.5" baking tray. Take the dough to the tray and make it flat with your hands until it cover all of the surface of the tray. Dampen your hands with water if the dough stick to your hands on this step. Then take a knife and give the dough square shapes going deep down. Sprinkle some sesame and baraca seeds on top. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Let rise the dough for half an hour. Bake it for 30 minutes or the color of pide turns light brown. Take the pide out of the oven let it cool for 20 minutes and fold it with a clean kitchen towel to keep it soft.

6 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love this bread! Yours looks delicious and beautiful!

cheers,

Rosa

My Turkish Kitchen said...

Rosa,
I love it too.

guner Chura said...

Hi My Turkish Kitchen, I was happy, finally, to find a bread recipe that uses whole wheat. I will try it
tomorrow. Your other recipes also sound good, I'll experiment with them from time to time. Thanks!

Guner
Texas

My Turkish Kitchen said...

Thank you Guner,
That bread is surprisingly soft and delicious.Thank you.
Iffet

mary said...

What a lovely site! So glad I came here (from ambrosia soulfulcooking).
I have a request, plz can yu include the possibility to receive your posts by email? Thanks.

My Turkish Kitchen said...

Hi Mary, I have just added your request to the blog. Thanks. Iffet